What Is Virtual Communication?
Communication is an integral part of human nature. Exchange of ideas, thoughts and information from one person to another is communication. As the most intelligent animal on the planet, humans have derived different communication processes to express and understand each other. Before the advent of oral communication, non-verbal methods were used such as gestures, facial expressions and movements. On broader terms, communication can be in various forms such as:
Today we will learn more about virtual communication definition and explore why it has become one of the most popular ways of communication. In addition, we give a sneak preview of some of the best virtual communication tools used across the world.
What Is Virtual Communication?
We define virtual communication as a mode of communication that includes the use of technology - audio and video to communicate with people who are not physically present in front of us. People can be in the next room, other floor, in neighborhood or even miles away. Although virtual communication started way back with the invention of telephone, the advent of webcams, video conferencing and instant communications, which made virtual communication a big hit. Today we use virtual communication in almost every work of life • within family, friends, and office to name a few.
• Cost effective: Apart from been quickly, virtual communication also saves a lot bucks. Rather travelling miles, we can talk by initiating a video call. In a professional environment, it saves a lot of time and money.
• Fast: By using any instant messaging application or web conferencing tool, we can share news or information across the globe in seconds. It's a saviour in case of a disaster or fetching real time data.
• Secure: Most of the texts we message via instant messaging application or web conferencing tool are encrypted, therefore no fear of our messages being misused.
Virtual Communication Tools
In the part above, we tell you the virtual communication meaning. Now, let's discuss more about the best virtual communication tools available in the market today.
Developed by Google, Hangouts came into market on 15th May, 2013. Prior to this, Google Talk and Google+ used to dominate the instant messaging and video call markets. On 9th march, 2017 Google announced that Hangouts would be bifurcated in two products: Hangouts Meet for video calls and conferences and Hangouts Chat for instant messaging.
• Group chats for up to 150 people
• Google group video calls up to 10 contacts
• Concurrent video calls up to 25 people for education purposes
• Synced with iOS, Android and the web
• Schedule video calls
• Third party applications and games
• Calling, SMS and voicemail integrations by connecting Google Voice account
• Get photos, videos, maps, emoji, stickers and GIFs
ezTalks is primarily used for video meeting. It's launched on 02 May, 2017. It is compatible with iOS, Mac, Windows PC or any Android device. With its robust features, we have the option to share just an application or the entire screen.
• Can login with Google or Facebook account
• Can include 500 participants in a meeting, included in free plan
• Sync with the contact list of the mobile phone
• Automatic horizontal screen display
• Super HD video and audio quality
• Easy screen sharing and Annotation
• Chat with anyone specifically or with everyone in a single meeting
• Record online meetings and make a scheduling options for meetings
• Control participants-lock, mute, remove anyone from the meeting
Founded in 2006, Fuze is a cloud based UCaaS (Unified Communications as a service) company. On November 2015, it took over FuzeBox, a cloud based audio & video conferencing company and later in 2016, it rebranded itself as Fuze. It deals in text and instant messaging, video conferencing and business voice applications. Fuze meeting is a video conferencing application used worldwide.
• Awesome HD video and audio support with photo sharing
• Specific application sharing for Mac and PC
• Easy to get going
• Looks and feel is very nice
• Saves money on a long term basis
• Synced with Gmail and DropBox
• Works on Mac, iOS, BlackBerry and Android devices
Released in 2003, Skype is a popular virtual communication tool which includes video messaging service. Microsoft Corporation acquired Skype Corporation on 10th May, 2011.
• Skype video conference calls
• Free voice calls (Skype to Skype)
• Low cost calls to landlines and mobile numbers
• Skype plug-in for Outlook
• Skype button on a website-user can call in using the button
Skype for Business:
• HD video
• Gallery view
• Up to 250 participants
• Extensive control for presenter
• Multiparty desktop and application sharing
With so many options of virtual communication tools available within a click, it definitely makes our lives easier. Nowadays, the ability of communicating virtually and instantly or sharing our information in seconds is very crucial. Virtual communication is creating a communication environment which is cost-effective, time-saving and accessible 24/7. Communication has evolved in the last few decades and very soon, virtual communication will be the base of communication in future. We will see a range of new products and technologies which will assist in making our virtual communication more easy and quick. Invention of telephone created the path of communication, and today virtual communication has taken over everything. With many advantages and features, people across the world have access to multiple virtual communication tools, which is making their life easy and comfortable.